Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Gorm's Chocolate Cake Recipe

Today I decided to make my boyfriend his favorite chocolate cake. It is a recipe by the Danish chef called Gorm Wisweh. Gorm owns several bakeries and pizza restaurants in Copenhagen, but I have to admit I have not visited any, yet.

Chocolate cake with mint dark chocolate and fresh raspberries
What makes this cake recipe different is that it has very little flour, which makes the cake a very rich chocolate cake. It also develops a crunchy chocolate crust on top. It is kind of like a brownie, but the texture is more airy and smooth, if that makes sense. :o)

The original recipe is in Danish but I will translate it into English. :o) I am also writing the recipe in the way in which I make it, so hopefully it is easier to understand. Since it is just my boyfriend and I here I decided to halve the recipe. You can always double the recipe if you want to make a large cake. Personally, I prefer the cake without coffee added, so I wrote that step as optional. I will also mention that I made the recipe before with dark chocolate (like the recipe states), but today I decided to use 100 grams of mint dark chocolate and 50 grams of dark chocolate. You are welcome to try something similar if you want. :)

Here is the recipe!

Ingredients:
150 g good dark chocolate
125 g butter
125 g sugar
3 whole eggs
1/2 dl strong coffee (optional)
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
salt
pepper

Directions:
  • First, place a bowl over a pot of hot water and melt the butter. Then, break the chocolate into pieces and melt it together with the butter.
  • Remove bowl from heat.
  • Next, set oven temperature to 160 C.
  • Then, add coffee (optional) to the chocolate and mix together. Then, add a pinch of salt, pepper, and 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder to the chocolate mixture and stir together.
  • Fill pot with cold water and place the bowl of chocolate on top to cool.
  • Then, whisk egg, sugar, and flour together with a hand mixer. Set aside.
  • While chocolate is cooling, prepare the baking dish by taking some baking paper/parchment paper and placing it in the baking dish to prevent sticking. I used a round spring form cake pan.
  • Finally, check to see if the chocolate is no longer hot and then gradually add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture and whisk with a hand mixer until it develops and looks airy.
  • Then, pour the cake batter into a baking dish and bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  • Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it collapse. If it doesn't on its own you can tap it on a table. If you used a spring form pan, it might be best to remove the spring form from the cake immediately so it collapses more evenly (I didn't do this).
  • Refrigerate after cake cools. Enjoy! :o)
Cake just removed from the oven

Finished collapsed Chocolate Cake





No comments:

Post a Comment